Saturday, January 11, 2014

Like a Broken Vessel

Image
Gentle frowny face man
So I received the dreaded phone call from our Ward Clerk on Tuesday night.  Yep, I have to get to talk in church this Sunday. 
I was assigned to speak on the talk from October 2013 General Conference by Elder Jeffery R. Holland--Like a Broken Vessel.  

I recalled the talk in my head and thought, how can I do this with justice--to the topic, and his amazing ability to teach through his words.  I feel very inadequate to stand without just reading the entire talk and I must say, I don't like to listen to a speaker "just read" the talk, and I'm pretty sure Bro. Reynolds didn't say, "Will you read the talk by Elder Holland in church this Sunday?"  He asked me to speak, and my subject was to be the talk by Elder Holland.  

So, I came home and listened, again and again, to the talk and hoping thoughts and ideas would come to me.  Well, I'm printing out the scary frowny face man from my primary days, along with a new, more gentle frowny face and hoping for inspiration through study and prayer. 

For those of you who may be interested in listening again or for the first time, here is the talk.

( I do love to listen to him.  I feel very lucky to have known him through our ward in Provo
 when Greg and I were attending BYU and he was the president.  His home was in our ward boundaries
 and we got to know him, his wife Pat and their children.  What a blessing.)

I know too many who have succumb to discouragement and the feelings of depression.  I have lost dear friends and family of dear friends to this powerful tool of Satan as he tries to discourage us and make us feel incapable of success or love or value or hope.

Creepy frowny face man from
my childhood days in primary.
So my talk begins with:  1 Peter 3:8
and then:

If you chance to meet a frown, (pull corners of mouth down to a frown)
Do not let it stay. (shake head from side to side)
Quickly turn it upside down
And smile that frown away. (push corners of mouth into a smile) 
No one likes a frowning face. (pull corners of mouth down to a frown)
Change it for a smile. (push corners of mouth into a smile)
Make the world a better place
By smiling all the while. (nod head up and down)

and we'll see where I go from there.

Prayers are welcomed.  :)


(Please don't think I'm making light of a very serious topic with my little frowny faced men.  They are used to teach us at a very young age to smile and it is real that it is very hard to feel down when you put a smile on your face.  It has a very positive affect on your psyche to smile.)



No comments:

Post a Comment